As I said to several of my compatriots today while feasting on traditional Thanksgiving cuisine, "The man who does not agree that the combination of turkey, cornbread dressing and cranberry sauce is a delight to the palate has not experienced the fullness of earthly food." I ate entirely too much, but as my uncle Phil says, "If some is good and more is better, then too much is... just right." I concur, uncle Phil, I concur.
Today reminds me that I have much to be thankful for even while I'm over here in Iraq. I'm thankful to have family that I would rather be spending time with than not. So many folks don't have all the fond memories of Thanksgiving that I do. So here's to you, Mom, Dad, Will and MC - I wish I could be there eating turkey, watching football and recounting our blessings together. Then, of course, there's the extended family gatherings that result in a dinner table full of cousins that are not so child-like any longer. It used to be that we were all little kids sitting around the same table, but now it's hard for all of us to be there at once. Nothing ever stays the same.
But as for my situation now, I have to include a picture of some of the decor they put up at our DFAC (Dining FACility, for the non-Army types). It was quite extravagant. Don't worry, all your tax dollars are going to very good use, let me assure you. We ate very well today. It's also a tradition to have commanding officers and other high ranking members serve the food on holidays, and today was no exception. So I got some roast beef carved by a Lieutenant Colonel and a scoop of bread dressing from a Major.
So after we chowed down, we went to stop by the 'driving range' here on base. See the photo. It was funny to be out hitting golf balls on a base in Iraq. But my swing looked good so no harm done. (that was sarcasm in case you've never seen me play golf.) I can see it being a good way to burn off steam or relax. It's off away from everything else so you have to drive there - which is no small feat when it's hard to come by an NTV (non-tactical vehicle - translated, a Ford F-150 or Chevy Trailblazer, etc.). But maybe one afternoon when nothing's going on, I could go down and hit a few balls, but then again, maybe not.
Anyway, today is a lay-low day, so I think I'm going to go take a nap and enjoy it now. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and thanks for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tim,I,m glad to hear that somebody remembers some of the crazy things I've said. I guess now I'm a world famous. Thanks for remembering.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you were able to enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving meal and that you're doing well.
With my prayers & love,
Uncle Phil