Still haven't made it up north yet. We tried to fly out yesterday, but our plane was having mechanical difficulties apparently. Here's the frustrating timeline of the last day or so: Wake up at 0230; pack up, clean up and get on a bus to the airfield at 0400; arrive at the airfield, unload all our bags around 0530; find out that our plane is broken sometime after 0900; hang around to see if we can get another flight until 1700, but it turns out there were no flights to be had until the next day; try to find a place to stay at that camp, but no success; load up on busses and go to yet another camp in this lovely country around 2100; find a tent and crash out around 2230. The good news is that we got to sleep a fair amount today and we have just been hanging around the USO, making phone calls, writing emails and watching movies. The goal is get another flight soon, but there's no guarantee for anything to do with planes around here.
Good news about the Soldier I mentioned in the last article - he and his wife decided to have their baby. I'm really grateful for that. Thank you to anyone who was praying for that. Since her due date is in the summer, her school has agreed to let her continue in her program of study without delay and then have the baby.
Other than that, I'm ready to get where we're going. We should be busy for at least the first couple of months, trying to get things set up and established. I'm looking forward to having something to do that relates to my specific job. Hopefully it will be a little cooler up there, too, but I'm not sure. It still gets above 100 degrees by about 9 or 10, even though we're halfway into October now. This country is not the most habitable location in the world, although there are worse places. I am reading a book about an Everest expedition that went wrong and the frigidity there is something I'd like to avoid. The book is called "Into Thin Air," and I recommend it so far. The writer is very good and he's already used a few words I don't know. He has a good style that keeps it interesting, not to mention a good topic to write about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Timothy,
ReplyDeleteI've just gotten caught up on your trip over to Iraq.
It's good to hear about you. I hope you will keep writing for your audience back stateside. I'd love to hear how this trip differs from your previous trip. Has having a new commander in chief changed the feeling on the ground?
Annie